$ Y1 S4 S2 E; C- y, u
6 N" ^5 w2 v- [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HTtLHgU9tY
# n. G" B( l  l+ c# H" l  p4 i* j# w
+ ?$ \. p: {0 O, D7 K8 w
CNN documentary
) l2 L& ~4 |; q# J' g9 Z9 z1 l9 B- x# W, j
New documentary explores Jonestown mass suicide. n9 f- N& q6 F4 L9 k, ^# `
! |; Y5 b! E$ f+ g
Twenty-eight years later, what's left to say about Jonestown? Nine hundred members of a religious cult followed their fanatical leader to Guyana and willingly committed suicide by drinking a Kool-Aid-like mixture laced with cyanide. 3 I8 }# m! w/ m. }

; S) D- T# C: E0 Z. a- I. wWhat more could there be to the story? Plenty, it turns out.
! l: e! t/ i. w, O$ n' AI watched an advance copy of the new documentary, "Jonestown," by filmmaker Stanley Nelson on Sunday, and found myself drawn deeply into a macabre tale that I had little prior knowledge of.8 m' S8 H8 ^, _* K  Z, Y

/ \0 A2 K2 f- D; |Nelson interviewed more than two dozen former members of Jim Jones' controversial Peoples Temple, including some who survived the Jonestown mass suicide -- which, by the way, looks more like mass murder now. And Nelson has unearthed dramatic video and sound recordings -- never seen or heard before that shed new light on the establishment, development and downfall of the Peoples Temple, right up until the moment Jim Jones passes out the cups.
/ @. [2 w. b' t! _) ^* ?1 l' H. q& S: u* o5 Y& P# [+ [. i/ w" Z" T% z
The most chilling part of the film is the audio tape of Jones urging his followers to choose death over persecution. I heard, for the first time, the emotionally-pitched debate between Jones and parishioners who would rather live than die in the South American jungle. It was like a scene out of Apocalypse Now, only this time, the killing was real.
3 [! [! r# O6 b9 u% l, c, a2 a$ u% D& |
I also learned that Jim Jones didn't suddenly take a hard left onto the highway of darkness. He was deeply disturbed from childhood, and is even suspected of abusing animals, something many experts believe is a hallmark of an emerging psychopath.8 c- o" g0 k2 N0 F* t

& u8 K  |9 i! b4 ?; e' LWhat's most tragic though is that Jones' followers don't come off as a cult of religious deviants. They were -- for the most part -- earnest people, attracted to the Peoples Temple for the sense of community they couldn't find in their own lives. It gave them a feeling of belonging, though as the years wore on and Jones' insanity escalated, membership came at an ever-increasing, and in the end, ultimate price.
% e( q9 U% e0 S
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-4-24 01:01 , Processed in 0.170458 second(s), 9 queries , Gzip On, APC On.